Laneway Homes in Hamilton
The City of Hamilton has a pilot zoning project. There are only a few limitations for these new secondary dwelling units:
- Must be on a property with a single family detached house only in part of Wards 1-4
- Laneway house must abut a laneway
- Max height 6 m
- Max area 50 square metres GFA (gross floor area)
- No windows on the second floor unless facing the laneway (or within the roof)
- Maintain minimum distance of 7.5 m between the two houses
- Maintain setbacks of 1.2 m between the side yards and laneway
- No parking required for the secondary dwelling unit
In Wards 1-4, the homeowner has a right to build a laneway home and needs only a building permit so long as they meet the above requirements.
You might have to apply for a minor variance if you seek to alter an existing building such as a garage or coach house to turn it into a laneway home.
Articles on Hamilton Laneway Homes
Secondary Homes in Hamilton